Once I perfected the brown sugar shaken espresso, it took me 2.5 seconds to start trying other combinations, such as the honey oatmilk shaken espresso, which was amaaaazing, and then this chocolate shaken espresso – which is the easiest, most delicious mocha ever.
In fact, it has a very similar flavor to the Starbucks Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso, just without the almondmilk aftertaste.
If you’ve been around here a minute, you know I have a thing for iced mochas, so to add the frothy texture of shaken espresso to chocolate was everything I dreamed it would be.
You will love how easy this is to make, too. So, let’s get started!
Chocolate Shaken Espresso: Ingredients
You only need a few things to make this drink and you can make substitutions for what you have on hand. Here is exactly what I used. Let is inspire you to create your own version:
- Espresso: A double shot Nespresso pod was my choice here. Use what you have, whether that’s really strong hot coffee, hot instant coffee, a double espresso pod, etc. I’ve made the drink with strong cold brew as well, but you’re going to get less froth. I use my Nespresso Vertuoline machine to make espresso and it makes it so easy.
- Chocolate Sauce: I used Torani dark chocolate sauce and it was perfect. I’ve also used Hershey’s 5-ingredient sauce, too.
- Oatmilk: Yup, the original and this one use oatmilk. I think it goes very well with the flavors. But, use the milk you prefer and have on hand. You’ll need around 1/3 a cup or so.
- Half ‘n Half: This gives the drink its deluxe froth on top, very similar to the Philz Honey Haze, which is magical. I used 1/4 cup for this.
- Ice: A half cup of ice to shake and another 1/2 cup to 1 cup of ice to serve. I tend to like drinks more ice heavy than many, so I used almost an entire cup of ice to shake and a bit more in the glass.
- Shaker: You’ll need something to shake it with. Either a blender cup like I have, a drink shaker, a mason jar with a lid, etc. Use what you have or what’s easy.
After you’ve gathered all your ingredients, it’s time to get started.
*Affiliate links are used in this post for products I bought with my own money and love. If you choose to make a purchase through my links, I may receive a commission at no cost to you. Cheers!
Step-By-Step Instructions: Chocolate Shaken Espresso
If you want to see how easy it is to make this drink, check out this short video I shared on my Instagram that walks you through it and then cruise down to see the step-by-step instructions.
View this post on Instagram
- Brew 1-2 espresso shots.
- Add espresso, 1-2tbsp of chocolate sauce, 1/4 cup of half ‘n half, and a cup of ice to a shaker.
- Shake, shake shake!
- Add to glass, add more ice if needed.
- Add 1/3 cup of oatmilk or milk of choice.
- Drink and enjoy!
After you shake, you’re going to see a thick layer of the best froth on top. Just look at this:
Chocolate Shaken Espresso: Your Questions Answered
Do I have to use espresso?
Nope, you can use strongly brewed hot coffee and you’ll get a similar result.
Do I have to use half ‘n half – I’m dairy free?
No again! You can use whatever milk you like and you’ll still get a frothy and delicious drink.
What is a shaken espresso vs a latte?
A shaken espresso has less milk than a latte, plus it’s shaken, which agitates the ingredients to create a lovely foam on top.
How much caffeine does a shaken espresso have?
It depends on how many espresso shots you choose to put in. Most espresso shots have around 75mg of caffeine each. To figure out how much caffeine is in your favorite coffee drink, check out this post.
I hope you try this drink and love it. If you’d like to see even more of my easy coffee recipes before they hit the blog, follow me on Instagram!