One of the first drinks we ever wrote about was the Dutch Bros Golden Eagle. It is easily one of the most delicious iced coffee drinks at any coffeehouse (and we stand by that opinion!). Since starting this blog, we’ve heard from a lot of readers who have tried the Golden Eagle on our recommendation and loved it. Truth is: it’s an easy win. The combination of vanilla and caramel is such a classic, it’s hard to mess up.
Which is why, after loving this drink for years, we decided to create our own version so we can have it whenever we want, right from home. Now, we are going to share the closest recipe to getting this to taste just like Dutch Bros. But, that means if you make substitutions to the DB drink, you’ll want to make adjustments at home, and after we share the recipe, we’ll break down some options for how you can do that. At the end of the day, this coffee is yours to enjoy however you prefer.
Dutch Bros Golden Eagle: Ingredients
Seriously, 5 ingredients is all it takes to make this addicting coffee drink you’ll love.
- Espresso Shots: I used a double espresso Nespresso pod. You can use any espresso or even make shots with instant espresso. You can swap this out for cold brew, too. I use my Nespresso Vertuoline machine to make espresso and it makes it so easy.
- Vanilla Syrup: I used my own recipe for vanilla simple syrup here, but you can also use a store bought version, like Torani Vanilla Syrup.
- Caramel Sauce: You want the sauce instead of the syrup here. The espresso shots are going to dissolve the caramel so don’t worry about that. You can use syrup if that is what you have, but the flavor will be slightly different (still good, though).
- Half ‘n Half: Dutch Bros uses their “breve” which is half ‘n half as the milk. That’s what makes it so creamy and delicious. You can change this to whatever milk you prefer.
- Ice: Yaaaaasss. Ice, ice, baby. I do not brew the coffee over ice, because it melts it and waters it down too much. I brew my espresso into an espresso cup, so that it cools a bit before adding it to the sauces to melt them. By the time you are adding the ice, it’s cooled enough where it won’t melt the ice as quickly.
- Toppings like caramel drizzle are used by Dutch Bros.
That’s it for ingredients and supplies. Now let’s get down to business making this delicious drink.
*Affiliate links are used here, which means at no cost to you, I may receive a commission if you mak ea purchase through my links. Cheers!
How To Make a Dutch Bros Golden Eagle:
- Start by brewing 2 espresso shots for a medium sized drink around 16oz. (more or less depending on your preference)
- In a glass, add 2 tbsp. vanilla syrup and 2 tbsp. caramel sauce. This is sweet like DB makes it. If you like less sweet, cut this in half.
- Add espresso shots and stir to melt caramel and combine.
- Add 3/4 cup half ‘n half
- Add one cup of ice
- Top with caramel drizzle
- Drink and enjoy!
Any alterations to this recipe is going to change the flavor, but that might be what you prefer, so go for it.
To reduce sugar, reduce the amount of syrups and sauce and switch to almond milk (you will taste this milk.
To go dairy free, switch to oatmilk for the smallest change in flavor.
To make with cold brew, swap out the espresso for one cup of cold brew and reduce the amount of milk since cold brew has water in it to water it down.
Too sweet? Reduce each syrup down to 1tbsp each or even 1/2 if you really like a strong coffee flavor. Reduce milk option to 1/2 cup.
Not sweet enough? Add 1/2 tbsp each syrup until you get it just right for you.
Want more delicious iced espresso and copycat drink recipes? You might love my ebook!
The ebook is a digital download, which means it’s available as soon as payment is processed. Here are some of the things that are included in the ebook:
- Starbucks copycat recipes
- Viral coffee recipes, like the iced white mocha with vanilla sweet cream and caramel drizzle
- Dunkin’ Butter Pecan copycat
- Dutch Bros copycat recipes – Golden Eagle, Iced Mocha, Caramelizer
- The easy way to get vanilla sweet cream cold foam right EVERY TIME
- Simple syrup recipes with just a few ingredients you can make at home, with less chemicals and added ingredients, for even more delicious coffees
- The best Nespresso espresso pods to buy
- and more!
Hope you’ll try this drink recipe!